Soccer ball sizes and weights for each age group
If you are looking for the best soccer ball, informed decisions are crucial. In this article, we will teach you all about soccer ball size and weight. After reading the information and consulting our detailed soccer ball size chart, you will choose the right size.
Learn about official soccer ball sizes and weights, specifications, age ranges each fits, utilities, and inflation best practices.
Soccer Ball Size and Weight Chart
|Cut||Circumference||lester||# of panels||air pressure|
|1 (skills)||18-20 in (45.72-50.8 cm)|
|2 (Promotional)||20-22 in (51-56 cm)|
|3 (young)||23-24 in (58-60 cm)||11-12oz (312-340g)||18 & 32||8.7-16.1psi (0.6-1.1bar)|
|4 (Youth)||25-26 in (63.5-66 cm)||12-13oz (340-369g)||32||8.5-15.6psi (0.6-1.1bar)|
|5 (adult)||27-28 in (68-70 cm)||14-16oz (410-450g)||32: 12 pentagons + 20 hexagons||8.5-15.6psi (0.6-1.1bar)|
Ball sizes and age groups
How to Choose the Right Size Soccer Ball
Figuring out which size to choose is an important move. It must be your first step before going to buy one.
Pay attention to your age group. You need to know what age group the ball will be used with. Consult your organization or coach for the correct size soccer ball for your age group.
Different football leagues may use different sizes.
When it comes to using a soccer ball during a match, there are three different sizes. They range from size 3 to size 5.
Ball size 3
- These are the smallest footballs available for match play.
- Generally used by children under 8 years old.
- Size 3 balls measure 23-24 inches (58-60 centimeters) in circumference and weigh 11-12 ounces (312-340 grams).
Ball size 4
- These are the medium sized soccer balls available for match play.
- Typically used by children aged 8-12.
- Size 4 balls measure 25-26 inches (63.5-66 centimeters) in circumference and weigh 12-13 ounces (340-369 grams).
Ball size 5
- This is the standard international match ball size.
- Used from 12 years old.
- Size 5 balls measure 27-28 inches (68-70 centimeters) in circumference and weigh 14-16 ounces (410-450 grams).
Association Football (soccer) Law 2 specifies the rules and directions of football (ball).
Special and utility sizes
There are also additional flavors besides those used in football games (mentioned above).
Here they are, and what uses or utilities they represent.
Ball Size 1
- Nike calls it a “Pee-Wee” type ball.
- It is used as a skill ball for all ages. And it is also recommended for small children to play.
- Size 1 balls are 18-20 inches (45-51 centimeters).
Ball Size 2
- This is a MIDI type bullet.
- It is used for all ages.
- Size 2 balls are 20-22 inches (51-56 centimeters).
How to inflate a soccer ball
Taking care of your soccer ball will prolong its life and ensure a better user experience.
Using proper air pressure and inflating it properly is part of your ball maintenance routines.
Learn how to best inflate your soccer ball by following these instructions.
- First of all. First of all, unfold your soccer ball with both hands so that the “walls” of its bladder separate, making it softer and allowing air to enter.
- Now apply a drop of silicone oil in the valve to inflate it much more easily.
- Be careful when inserting and pushing the inflation pump needle into and inside the valve. You do not damage the bladder or the valve.
- First inflate your soccer ball up to 0.6 bar and let it rest for 5 minutes before inflating it to the recommended pressure.
- Throw the ball against the ground and see if it bounces well. Press your thumbs against its surface to confirm that it is properly inflated.
- Never inflate it too much. I did, unfortunately. The bladder was so hard it tore the panels.
- Keep your inflation needle in a safe place so it doesn’t get damaged.
- It’s time for the fun part. Let’s play ball.
You have found a detailed informational article on soccer ball sizes, weights, uses, and other utilities. I also talked about the air pressure of soccer balls and the best way to inflate them.
I hope my soccer ball size chart may have helped you choose the right size and weight for your next ball.
All of this information is important when looking to get the best ball for your particular needs and how to best care for it.