Mexican soccer match brawl: At least 26 injured as fights break out in Liga MX game between Querétaro and Atlas fans
The Liga MX match between Querétaro and Atlas was abandoned in the second half as fighting ensued in the Corregidora stadium.
According to Mauricio Kuri, the governor of the state of Querétaro, 24 men and two women were injured. Of those, Kuri said 10 were lightly injured and three were in “critical” condition.
Photos of the game show’s fans, some of whom appear bloodied, brawling on the field and in the stands, throwing punches and hitting each other with objects.
“We totally condemn the events that took place today at the Corregidora stadium,” a statement from Querétaro said.
“We are in communication and coordination with the authorities so that they act quickly against anyone responsible for these events. As an institution, we condemn violence of any kind. We will continue to update ourselves.”
Atlas, the defending Liga MX champions, were winning 1-0 when the game was suspended.
“Atlas FC regrets and condemns the events that took place at the Corregidora stadium,” the club said in a statement.
“Football must promote values and fun for the whole family. We ask the competent authorities, the BBVA Mexico league and the FMF [Mexican Football Federation]conduct a thorough investigation to the ultimate consequences, determine the responsibilities of those involved and apply the full force of the law.”
The FMF said on Saturday that an investigation had been opened into the events that took place during the match to “analyze and determine the appropriate measures to be taken”.
Liga MX president Mikel Arriola also said the league’s final ninth round matches scheduled for Sunday have been postponed in solidarity with those affected by the incidents in Querétaro.
In a statement released later on Sunday, FIFA said it was “shocked by the tragic incident” that took place inside the stadium.
“The violence was unacceptable and intolerable,” the statement said. “FIFA joins the Mexican Football Federation and Concacaf in condemning this barbaric incident and encouraging local authorities to bring swift justice to those responsible.
“Our hearts go out to all those who have suffered the consequences. Once again, FIFA would like to stress that violence should absolutely have no place in football and we will continue to work with all parties to eradicate it. of our game.”
CONCACAF, the governing body for North and Central America and the Caribbean, said “Sunday’s shocking acts of vandalism and violence have no place in football or society”.
“The thoughts of everyone at Concacaf are with the victims of these horrific events and their families,” the statement read.
“Concacaf totally condemns these types of behavior. We call on local authorities to fully investigate these criminal acts and hold accountable those who have tarnished our game.
“The Confederation also believes that severe sanctions in football must be applied and will provide all necessary support to the FMF and Liga MX in their investigation.”
CNN’s Karol Saura, Claudia Dominguez and Wayne Sterling contributed reporting.