Man stabbed on pitch during Vancouver football game (VIDEO)

Editor’s Note: This story contains descriptions and images of violence

A man was stabbed in a Vancouver soccer field in the middle of a game on Saturday after three other men chased him down and knocked him down on the grass.

Video of the incident at Trillium East Field in Strathcona shows a man in a black hoodie and green shorts jogging in the field, followed by two men in black jackets.

“Get off the [expletive] field, do you want “, shouts a player to the men.

A fourth man, carrying a backpack, runs to the field on the other side and the first man runs away.

But the men catch him and throw him to the ground. One of the men kicks him while he is lying on the ground, and another stabs him.

That’s when the match referee, dressed in a red jacket, sprints and pushes the attacker away.

“It was like a football tackle… I’ve known this referee for years. He’s such a good man, well done to him, ”Shaheen Football Club manager Babak Shahbazi, who witnessed the incident, told Daily Hive.

The man with the knife pointed it at the referee after being tackled, Shahbazi said, but the soccer official told the group to leave and the forward apparently calmed down.

Shahbazi said the commotion started when a girl who was with the attackers started screaming. Attention shifted from the game to the disruption, and the game ended when the first man jumped over the fence.

“It didn’t seem like normal behavior on the part of these children,” he said. “No one stabs someone in front of 100 spectators thinking normally.”

No one expected the incident to turn violent, Shahbazi said. When he did, he ran to get a first aid kit from his car to help the victim.

“The poor guy was so distressed he didn’t let us touch him,” Shahbazi told Daily Hive.

He could not see any blood from the knife wound and attended to the cuts on the man’s face until paramedics arrived.

“It’s the craziest thing I’ve seen in my life,” he said. “I was sadder than anything… All these guys, big guys, all athletes. In front of all of us this guy gets stabbed and neither of us can do anything.

Vancouver Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Steve Addison said it was not known what triggered the violence and the incident was still under investigation. No arrests were made.

“This is obviously a very concerning incident that took place in the middle of a football field,” Addison said.